Culprit Officially Identified! Yahoo Mail Causing Data LeakFebruary 1, 2011 No Comments
As everyone knows some WP7 devices have been using an excessive amount of data (see article here). There was many reasons to think that the cause was Yahoo Mail. Well now Microsoft themselves have confirmed that the problem is in fact Yahoo Mail. Paul Thurrot posted on his blog this statement from Microsoft regarding the issue:
We have determined that an inefficiency exists in the synchronization of email between the Windows Phone Mail client and Yahoo! Mail.
This inefficiency can result in larger than expected data usage for a very small percentage of users.
- Microsoft and Yahoo! have worked together to identify a fix, which will be rolled out in the coming weeks.
- In the meantime, customers can mitigate this issue by following these steps:
- On the Start screen of Windows Phone 7, click on the arrow at the top right
- Choose “Settings” from the app list
- Choose “email & accounts”
- Choose “Yahoo! Mail”
- Click on the setting under “Download new content”
- Select a less frequent setting. If you are using the default setting (every 2 hours), change this setting to ‘manually’
- Click on the setting under “Download email from”
- Select a shorter time range. If you are using the default setting (the last 2 weeks), change this setting to ‘the last 7 days’
Microsoft has also identified an issue with our Exchange ActiveSync [EAS] email synchronization protocol that may affect a very small percentage of users
- This issue can be caused by email that exceeds the mail server email size setting or is sent to an invalid email address
- This issue can potentially affect email services that utilize the EAS protocol – Outlook and Gmail for example
- The immediate mitigation is for users to delete mail that appears “stuck” in the outbox
- This is currently scheduled to be fixed in a near-term end user update from Microsoft
With the problem identified, hopefully the solution will come quick.
Tags: high da, Yahoo!News