Nokia’s Amber Update Rolling Out NowAugust 15, 2013 1 Comment
Nokia has begun to rollout their Amber update for Windows Phone 8 devices.
Nokia notes that the update brings the following:
Improved image processing
- The update brings significantly improved algorithms that offer better noise reduction, colour reproduction, exposure control and autofocus to every phone across the Lumia range. On the Lumia 920, controls to adjust the ISO settings of the camera from 800 to 3200 allow for even better low light performance.
Nokia Smart Camera
- Debuted on the Nokia Lumia 925, this new camera app is ideal for taking pictures involving people and movement. Starting today, you will be able to get the app from the Store after downloading Lumia Amber to your phone.
Nokia Glance Screen
- Perhaps one of the features that has been most requested on Nokia Lumia smartphones. Nokia Glance Screen brings a clock to your screen when the phone is inactive, along with indicators to show the battery level when running on a low battery or the phone is charging, and whether your phone is set to ‘silent’
Flip to silence and double-tap to unlock
- Two favourite features from older Nokia phones that users have asked for. Flipping the phone over is a great and easy way to mute an incoming call. Double tapping the screen is something many people prefer to using the unlock key. Both of them are optional in case you’re worried about having accidents – in our experience, though, that never happens.
Storage Check and faster map updates
- You may have already picked this up through another update. We wrote about it here. Briefly, if you’re running out of space on your phone and you want to free some up, you can find out the biggest culprits and deal with them (perhaps you never delete your photos, despite uploading them to SkyDrive, for example).
The rollout starts now first for the Lumia 920 and Lumia 820 in selected countries as well as the Lumia 521, Lumia 810, and Lumia 928 in the US. Exact delivery timings will vary by region, phone and operator, but we expect the update to reach your Lumia 520, Lumia 620, Lumia 720, Lumia 820 or Lumia 920 by the end of September.
Your Nokia Lumia will check periodically for software updates automatically, or you can perform a manual check by going to ‘Settings’ -> ‘Phone Update’. You can also check for the availability status of the update on our support pages.