The Windows Store Already Outnumbering and Outperforming the Mac StoreNovember 28, 2012 1 Comment
Only one month in and it looks like the Windows Store is off to a great start. Already Microsoft announced that they sold 40 million Windows 8 licenses. Now reports are coming in from Distimo that the Windows Store already has more apps that the Apple Mac Store.
- The daily download volume among the top 300 most popular applications in the Windows Store is already three times higher than the volume among the top 300 most popular applications in the Apple Mac App Store. However, in terms of paid volume only, the Apple Mac App Store is still doing much (5 times) better.
- Microsoft did a good job in giving local content more visibility in the Windows Store. Overall 10% of all applications in the rankings are locally popular only. This is even higher when we disregard the small countries. In Japan, for example, 41% of all top 300 applications are locally popular only, and also in Korea, where about 30% of all top applications are locally popular only. The Windows Store currently features a total of 21,183 applications world wide, however only 13,844 (65%) are available in North America. As a matter of comparison, this ratio is above 85% in most app stores.
- One month after the official launch there are already more than 20K applications available in the Windows Store. This is more than the Apple Mac App Store, which counts 13K applications, however, it still has a long way to go to reach the amount of apps in the Apple App Store or Google Play, which both have over 600K available applications. Still, there has been no store thus far that had that many available applications after just one month in business.
- There are some interesting differences between the PC stores (x86 and x64) and the Surface (ARM) store. The PC stores share a lot of characteristics with the Apple Mac App Store like price and the type of popular applications, while the surface store shares more in common with the tablet and phone app stores.
As of November 22, 2012 – Windows Store has 21,183 apps available
- 21,129 applications available for x86
- 21,175 applications available for x64
- 19,657 applications available for ARM
This is compared to 12,998 applications the mac store has available after almost 2 years.
Another insane number is 86%, that is the percentage of free apps available on the Windows Store. That is compared 65% on Google Play and only 16% on the Mac app store. Can’t wait to see how many great apps are available on the Windows Store in 6 months time.
Distimo has a very clear objective: to make the app market transparent. The company was born out of the frustration of a lack of insights into the performance of apps and the manual work needed to track important metrics. Our goal is to provide the best and most actionable app intelligence for anyone who wants to compete in the app market. Our data-driven team seeks to help developers, brands and financial services companies gain actionable, timely and factual knowledge of what’s happening daily in the global app market. We offer three core services:
App Analytics, to track all of your important app data across all major app stores and ad networks; Conversion Tracking, to measure your full app sales funnel from discovery and campaigns to app launch; and Market Data, to analyze the daily download and revenue volumes of any app in the market.
Founded in 2009, Distimo is a privately held company based in The Netherlands. Follow us on