Nokia’s Damian Dinning Sets the Record Straight on Pureview (Compares Lumia 920 to 808)September 8, 2012 1 Comment
Damian Dinning from Nokia, better known to tons of you as
@PhoneDaz on Twitter, has set the record straight on Pureview and the differences in the Nokia 808 and new Lumia 920. He went through a long list of key points that really give you an inside look as to what to expect from the Lumia 920.
Damian Dinning –
Received lots of questions this week re
#PureView #808 vs #920. Going to need to do this over a number of tweets, here goes…
- in situations where camera movement is not an issue #808 will provide more detailed images with less noise due to oversampling… where camera movement is evident for either stills (typically low light) or videos #920 will be better due to OIS
- In low light if devices are handheld and used in auto #920 will be better due to OIS – no blur and brighter images. if #808 is used in night mode or manual ISO allowing speeds to 2.7secs and supported it will provide better images due to oversampling
- In video, for most people, due to OIS you’ll get smoother looking videos with #920 #808 however in video does provide lossless zoom oversampling due to high res sensor
- in terms of audio recording, the difference is mono in the #920 vs #808 which is stereo. (the only difference is mono, the HAAC capability and mic is the same as in the #808 )
- #808 due to high res sensor has lossless zoom in stills and as already mentioned also in video.
- #920 thanks to the new capabilities of the
#WP8 platform can use ‘lens’ apps. This allows greater extension of the camera capabilities - you’ll see this at launch with some cool lenses from #Nokia such as Smart Shoot and Cinemagraph, wih more to come in the future - we’re VERY excited about some of those we have in the pipeline
I think that covers the main differences people are interested in. Note: These are based on launch SW and are intended as a general summary
Note….and that actual side by side comparisons of course will be required to see specific differences important to you personally.
As a summary,
#PureView is industry leading imaging technology designed to make a real difference
There you have it, from the answers above it sounds to me like the Lumia 920 is a better pureview for ‘consumer’ use while folks with tripods and such who are a little more serious in their picture taking will prefer the Nokia 808′s camera.