Developer: Microsoft Details Windows Phone â€˜Mangoâ€™ application update ProcessAugust 15, 2011 No Comments
Microsoft recently has detailed the process that a developer will go through while submitting their Mango flavored applications. They have gone through great detail of how somethings will change and how the different versions of the apps will work. One interesting tidbit is that After you submit your update you will not be able to update the 7.0 version. Microsoft also explains how on the screenshots if a developer is showing something that is only possible in Mango, they should tag that picture with a Mango only label.
When you publish a Windows Phone â€˜Mangoâ€™ update to an application you had previously published, the following will occur:
- The WP 7.0 version of your application will remain available to all users on WP 7.0 devices.
- The WP â€˜Mangoâ€™ version of your application will be available to all users on WP â€˜Mangoâ€™ devices.
- WP â€˜Mangoâ€™ users who previously installed your application will receive an update notification. This will occur even if they installed your application prior to updating to WP â€˜Mangoâ€™
- WP 7.0 users who have installed your application, but not updated to WP â€˜Mango,â€™ will not receive an update notification
- The WP7.0 rankings & reviews that your application received will attach to your new updated WP â€˜Mangoâ€™ version too.
- The application metadata and screenshots for Windows Phone Marketplace submitted with the WP â€˜Mangoâ€™ version of your application will be shared across both the WP 7.0 and WP â€˜Mangoâ€™ versions of the application; i.e., a single set of metadata and screenshots will appear to both WP 7.0 and WP â€˜Mangoâ€™ users.
- Once you have released the WP â€˜Mangoâ€™ version of your application, you will no longer be able to modify the previously released WP 7.0 version of your app. We realize that some of you may worry about this limitation, and so weâ€™re actively working on ways to mitigate it. To improve the experience for users, itâ€™s our preference not to have â€œduplicate versionsâ€ of your apps in the marketplace. We are also going to work hard to encourage our pre-existing users to enjoy the free upgrade to Mango as quickly as possible.
You can read more on what to expect when you submit your Mango apps at the Windows Team Blog