Live Tile Improvements to Come With ‘Mango’April 15, 2011 No Comments
Mango which will be the first major update to Windows Phone 7 is due this Fall. One thing that will get many new features with the update is the Live Tiles. New features coming to the Live Tile system are:
- Local notifications: these aren’t push, but instead are purely local–great for alarms, reminders, “note tiles”, etc.
- Deep Toast: Say ‘Weather Bug’ gives you a flood toast notification, when you click it, it can now take you directly to the flood alert, instead of just opening the app. This is very cool.
- Multi-tiles: One app, ‘X’ amount of tiles. For example, you have a news app with World, Local and Political news, you can now create individual Live Tiles for each category, or whatever the dev allows
- Live Tile limit bumped: Currently, you can only have 15 Live Tiles on your phone. Starting with Mango, that goes to 30.
- Tile flip: When a notification comes in, the Tile can “flip” with a back image (see video)
- Improvements: Reliability, performance and efficiency (15 min polling, down from 60) have all been adjusted and made better
There is also a video posted by WPCentral that highlights some of theses feature.
This Fall is going to bring a lot of interesting things, and a whole lot of growth for Windows Phone 7 if what we have seen over the past few days holds true.