High Data Usage Bug Fixed!?January 19, 2011 No Comments
Responding to a question from seattlepi.com, Microsoft claims to have resolved the ‘bug’ accused of hogging up data on some WP7 devices. Last week we ran a story on how some were claiming that their phone was using up to 50mb a day on standby. The following is Microsoft’s response…
We have determined that a third-party solution commonly accessed from Windows Phones is configured in a manner that potentially causes larger than expected data downloads. We are in contact with the third party to assist them in making the necessary fixes, and are also pursuing potential workarounds to address the configuration issue in case those are needed. At this point in our investigation, we believe this is responsible for most of the reported incidents.
We are investigating additional potential root causes for the remainder of the reports. A small (low single-digit) percentage of Windows Phone customers have reported being affected.
We are continuing to investigate this issue and will update with additional information and guidance as it becomes available.
I wonder what rogue app caused all this chaos. Glad to hear everything has been fixed. Everyone should still keep an eye on your data usage until we hear an official word.
Tags: Bug Fixed, High Data Usage, Microsoft, WP7News